traces its heritage to July 1889. It was on that date that J.
Percy Oliver (1866-1943) was admitted to practice law in the
Chancery Court of Tallapoosa County, Alabama. Thereafter, J.
Percy Oliver maintained a local general practice in Dadeville,
Alabama, with various partners and associates. He also served as
Probate Judge of Tallapoosa County for many years.
Judge Oliverís practice was
later assumed and continued by his son, Samuel W. Oliver (Mr.
Sam) (1904-1967). Mr. Samís country law practice encompassed a
wide ranging field of client representation. Mr. Sam was
prominently known throughout the State of Alabama as one of
its most effective litigators in the defense of criminal and
automobile liability cases.
Shortly after Mr. Samís untimely death, his son and associate,
John P. Oliver, II (1942-), grandson of Judge J. Percy Oliver,
assumed the practice. He is the senior partner of Oliver-Treadwell,
As a solo practitioner between 1967 and 1971, John P. Oliver,
II, continued his predecessorsí general law practice and
branched out into the fields of plaintiff personal injury
representation, consumer law, and real estate development and
acquisitions. In 1971, the firm was constituted as Oliver &
Sims with the addition of L. Lee Sims.
In 1993, Mark Allen Treadwell, III, joined the firm as an
associate and became a partner in 2002. Mark Allen Treadwell,
a lifelong resident of Dadeville, Alabama, shifted his solo
practice in Birmingham, Alabama, back to his hometown and has
practiced with the firm since then. With the departure of Mr.
Sims in 2002, the firm became constituted as Oliver-Treadwell,
In addition to its two lawyers, the firm now employs two legal
assistants. Additionally, Mr. Oliverís wife, Melissa V.
Oliver, serves in an as needed consulting capacity on
political and domestic relations issues.
The firm continues to represent a variety of institutional and
business clients as well as individuals in personal injury
cases, real estate transactions, domestic relations, and
The firm is located at 129 West Columbus Street and 141 West
Columbus Street in the historic Dennis building.